Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Daily Inspiration 3-2-10

"Consciously or unconsciously, every one of us does render some service or other. If we cultivate the habit of doing this service deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger, and will make, not only our own happiness, but that of the world at large."

-- Mahatma Gandhi


"Leadership is action, not position."

-- Donald H McGannon

I cannot think of anything that is so fulfilling, satisfying, and uplifting as serving other people. There are a million ways to do it and it can be as simple as a kind gesture, smile, or a small uplifting comment.

I was at the grocery store tonight, and on my way out, there were two Redbox DVD machines. This couple was looking intently at the screen of one of them. I just casually said, "is that Redbox thing easy to use?" They were looking kind of cross at me until I finished my question, then they broke out in a huge smile and raved about how good it was and how much better than the video rental store and more. You should have seen the smile on their faces. I thanked them for their comment and went on out the door. They were obviously uplifted. How simple was that? It is so interesting how such a small thing can make someone smile and show some enthusiasm. Is that being of service? Absolutely.

As I look back on my day today, I can see that I was of service to quite a number of people in small ways. When I think about that, I feel great. Thinking about it also reminds me that I am being of service to the world; that I do make a difference; and that I matter. That feels good too. I'm sure we could all use that reminder at least once a day, don't you think?

I so love the quote by Gandhi because he suggests that we become deliberate about being of service to others. Not random acts of kindness, but purposeful service throughout the day.

What a concept!


I Don't Just Serve Occasionally, But Daily--On Purpose!

Spread Some Joy Today--Go be of service on purpose today. It will do you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment