Thursday, March 18, 2010

Daily Inspiration 3-18-10

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief."

-- Gerry Spence


"I believe in the imagination. . .
what I cannot see is infinitely more important than what I can see."

-- Duane Michals


I absolutely love Gerry Spence's quote, 'I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.'

When I think about wonder, all I have to do is open my eyes and look at almost anything. Right now, I'm looking out my window at the trees in my neighbors yard. What wonder is in trees and all of nature. Then I see the sky. What wonder I see in the sky. It is all around me every second of every day, and I don't even have to open my eyes, for I can hear. That is a wonder all its own. Music. I love music and I just love listening to the sounds of the neighborhood like the lawn being mowed, power tools in operation, talking. Then there is the smell. Someone is barbecuing something tasty. I can smell it from hundreds of feet away. Wonderful smell. Or how it smells after a rain, or the smell of wet concrete on a hot day.

I could go on for the rest of my life talking about all the wonder around me that I see, hear, taste, touch and smell.

But then. . . wonder of wonders is the Imagination! Thought and thought pictures and thought feelings create an entirely unique world of delight. No need to wait for a premonition, you can create an alternate reality in your mind. How glorious is that?

Whenever I think of the word Imagination (capitalized on purpose!), I think of Walt Disney. To me as a child growing up, he was the guru of the world of Imagination--and what a delight it was and still is.

There are a great number of things that I know. . . and a zillion that I do not know. Wonder means that I don't need to know, but just to gaze at them in awe and in wonder of the creation as I see it daily. I rejoice in this private land of joy and I have shared just a small corner of it in hopes that you can experience some of it with me.

Open your mind to the wonder all around you!


I See Wonder All Around Me Whether It Is 'Reality' Or Not. Who Needs Belief When There Is Wonder?

Spread Some Joy Today--Pretend for the next hour that all of your needs are met fully--financial, personal, all of it. Now, take this hour to open your eyes to all that is around you in every moment that you have previously ignored or complained about. Since all your needs are met, you can now for the next hour turn your attention to what you've been missing! Ain't it grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment