Monday, July 29, 2013

Daily Inspiration 7-29-13

Special Note To CTS Daily Inspiration Readers:

First of all, THANK YOU for being a reader and thank you for all the wonderful comments that I've received over the last four years.

It has been suggested by many people that I create a book out of the CTS Daily Inspirations. I had mixed feelings about this. As people have continued to make the suggestion of the book, I had an idea that I think would make this an interesting and unique book. If many of you who are readers, have been touched by one or more of the inspirational messages, wrote about what inspirations inspired you, encouraged change and growth and generally how they affected you in a positive uplifting way, I would gather these into what I think would be an interesting and powerful book. If you are interested, please send them to me in an email to tminion@commercialtrucksuccess.com. I will include this message for about one month so that all can see it. Feel free to send as many as you like and I will keep you posted on the progress of this idea.



"Do not judge lest you be judged.
For in the way you judge,
you will be judged;
and by your standard of measure,
it will be measured to you."
 
-- Matthew 7:1-2, The Bible, NAS


You will and you will. We can't help it. We see something and we make a judgment about it--whether we like it, how we feel about it, and often there are many judgments about a thing, event, or person. And, when we judged, we are then judged in the same kind of way. We attract it to ourselves by our own thoughts and actions.

Yesterday, I was on a trip and stopped at a Starbucks to get a coffee. It was busy. I saw two females behind the counter and the one on my left had a strikingly beautiful face. It was the kind that would be on the cover of a magazine. The girl on the right was not. As a male, I would have in times past thought, 'I like this one, and not that one,' or some sort of similar line. But, today I think differently.

As a salesman and sales manager, I was involved every day many times in negotiations and other kinds of communications with customers, potential customers, sales people, and others. One scenario that came to mind this morning was the idea of what we called the third baseman. In this, a couple would bring along an authority figure who supposedly knows the ins and outs of car dealing. We always looked at them with disdain because generally all they did was muck things up and give bad information and bad advice. If we could get rid of the third baseman, we could easily close this sale, or so we thought. But, today I think differently.

The difference in my thinking now is that I changed my approach to judging. Instead of seeing what I liked and what I didn't like, now I only see what I like. Whatever I see that I like, I praise. As an example, in the Starbucks, I see the beautiful face on the left and I like it and I praise it by saying to myself, 'you are very beautiful and deserve to be on the cover of the best magazine.' I might even go into more detail about how that beauty can be described. For the other girl, I loved her hair. She had dark hair with a blond portion and it was quite engaging. I loved the way it attracted attention and I praised her hair and her choice. I loved them both instantly.

As a salesman or sales manager now, I will look at the third baseman with a whole different attitude. I might be praising him for his knowledge of the business and his or her willingness to help this couple to make a better decision. I will find things to praise and I will praise them mentally and verbally. The same will hold true of the couple that brought him. I will love all of them.

I've now been practicing this for some years and I get better at it all the time, and what is best about it is how I feel inside and how that person in front of me responds to me. I create my own reality this way and it works like nothing else. I often will say the praise verbally depending on the situation. I try to do this as often as I can, but sometimes the situation doesn't allow that, or it doesn't feel right, but it always feels right in my mind.

Try this on everyone, even those who aren't so easy to like. You'll be changed for the better, as I have been.


"There Are Really Only Two Types Of People. Those You Now Love. And, Those You Will Love. That's What Life's For." -- The Universe (Mike Dooley)

Spread Some Joy Today--Praise = Joy. Want to manufacture some joy? Start praising.

No comments:

Post a Comment