Thursday, June 9, 2011

Daily Inspiration 6-9-11

"Anxiety is love's greatest killer. It makes others feel
as you might when a drowning man holds on to you.
You want to save him, but you know he will
strangle you with his panic."

-- Anais Nin


When people give me argument, I do my best to answer it with sense, and if they persist, I may swim upstream with them a stroke or two, then I will suddenly let go and float away downstream relaxing in my peace and calm.

I was talking with a prospect the other day who is the owner of a small business. He expressed some fear of the Internet, in particular, social media and specifically, Facebook. He told me a short story, then another. I tried sense. He told another. Finally, I turned to him and said matter-of-factly, "if you are afraid of the Internet, then I suggest that you avoid the Internet and keep doing what you are doing now." Then he started another fearful story, and I said, "whatever is on the Internet is not private, so if you are fearful of what goes on in the Internet world, stay out of it; however, I suggest the alternative of getting over it so you can use the medium to grow your business effectively."

I could see he had some more stories ready for me, but I wasn't having any of it. I said goodbye politely and left. If people don't want to swim or don't know how, they should stay out of the water. The alternative is getting in or taking lessons and getting on with life.

I absolutely love the Internet. I think it is tantamount to the greatest invention of all time--certainly it is in terms of information being widely and freely available to all. So, to me it is extremely beneficial and valuable. To some it is something to fear and tell stories about, but then again, I feel they have a propensity to do that without the influence of the Internet. How we think about things affects and creates our own world.



Live In Fear, Or Live In Love. It's A Choice--Yours.


Spread Some Joy Today--Listen to the stories you tell others. If it's not uplifting, tell a new story. If you don't know one, make one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment