Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Daily Inspiration 6-7-11

"Adversity is like a strong wind.
It tears away from us
all the things that cannot be torn,
so that we see ourselves as we really are."

-- Arthur Golden


Ever bite off more than you can chew? I've done that a few times in my life, and never more so than where I am now. And, from time to time in all my great and wonderful positiveness, my mind-sight gets a bit muddy. Maybe you know what I'm talking about. I don't get really down or depressed anymore, but I notice that I'm not firing on all 8 cylinders. The cares and uncared for cares or ignored cares of the past have a way of dragging anyone down a notch or two.

In those cases it is so easy to think about turning and walking out, moving to Australia, or some other greener pasture. I know enough now that I cannot allow myself to linger in la-la land very long, and the best way out is always, as they so wonderfully sang in Bye Bye Birdie, to Put On A Happy Face. Of course, in la-la land, nobody wants a happy face. They laugh at happy faces there, and it sometimes seems so forced and fake--yet, it is still true that it is the choosing to be happy that makes the leap out.

The practical way is to just think of a better feeling thought. Just a little better feeling. Then, another slightly better one, and another and another until in baby steps we have got ourselves feeling pretty darn good and now that happy face is not so fake after all.

Sometimes I watch an inspiring movie that jerks a few tears here and there (joyful ones!) that does the trick. I found one tonight and I highly recommend it. It is from HBO and I got it from Netflix, but it is called "Warm Springs," and it is the early story of Franklin Roosevelt before he went headlong into politics. It is a delightful and very interesting story of adversity, challenge, strength-finding, and heart-opening.

It is also fascinating in how it shows how friends and people who see something special in you can be so helpful to guide you to the best of yourself. It was very inspiring to me personally tonight and may touch others in a similar way. It helped to put my trivial problems into a better perspective, much like this quote from Robert Fulghum: "If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience."



"Some of God's Greatest Gifts Are Unanswered Prayers." -- Garth Brooks


Spread Some Joy Today--Blessings are always there. They are just hidden from time to time. Finding them again and counting them again is joy all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment