Saturday, June 18, 2011

Daily Inspiration 6-18-11

Success Week


"I do the very best I know how--the very best I can;
and I mean to keep on doing so until the end."

-- Abraham Lincoln


Continuing with my top ten favorite quotes and ideas about that often defined word, success, I love how Abraham Lincoln always seemed to get to the heart of the matter and simplify everything. Just do our best, he says, and just keep on doing our best. Perfect advice.

Some others had very similar sentiments, such as Charles M Schwab who said, "The man who has done his best has done everything," and of course, the famous Teddy Roosevelt quote, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." To be just a touch more specific, Napoleon Hill said, "It has always been my belief that a man should do his best, regardless of how much he receives for his services, or the number of people he may be serving or the class of people served." All of it stellar and sound advice.

I can assure you that I have not always done my best. In fact, there have been many times I have done as little as I dare be and get by. Not laziness mind you, but often it was a reaction of frustration and liberal doses of helplessness, with a dash or two of feeling sorry for myself. I haven't had that combination in some time now, and I'm liking that a great deal. It really wasn't any fun and it certainly wasn't serving me or anyone else either.

There's one other kicker, and that is that today's best is not always equal to yesterday's best. Today's best may only be 50% of yesterday's best, but the important part is the best part and forgetting the comparison part. Let all that go. It doesn't serve either. Just do the best you can and that is where Teddy's advice reins: "Do what you can (your best today, this moment), with what you have (no delays or excuses), where you are (right now!). It's a great definition of success that each and every one of us can take full advantage of.



I Do My Best And It Serves.


Spread Some Joy Today--What are your rules for success. How many stars and moons must line up in Jupiter or how much money do you have to have to be a success. Here's the best secret to success I've ever found: the fewer the rules, the more the success. Seek joy. It's way more interesting, fruitful, immediately rewarding and contagious!

No comments:

Post a Comment