Sunday, July 8, 2012

Daily Inspiration 7-8-12

"Learning is the beginning of wealth.
Learning is the beginning of health.
Learning is the beginning of spirituality.
Searching and learning is where
the miracle process all begins."

-- Jim Rohn

I was talking with a young man the other day, and he mentioned that his generation doesn't like to read. I was thinking that applied to most generations. I know that when I was young, I didn't like to read. In our home, when I was young, we didn't really have books around much, just a few here and there. My parents were poor and uneducated in general, so it would be natural I guess for me to follow that path.

As a young boy, I wanted an encyclopedia and my mom bought me the Golden Book Encyclopedia one volume at a time at the grocery store until I had the whole set. It had great graphics and was colorful and so interesting and I really got into reading in it. Then I got to the enlightened age of about ten or so and was more into what other kids were doing outside instead of me being inside I guess.

Whatever it was, my interest in reading became a lack of interest and finding every short cut imaginable to get by in school without reading much. At 21, I began to read and began to value books again and began building a personal library. Some of those first books are still in my library and it grew from one book to over 2,000. I even read many of them!

As I talk with people, I find so few who read for learning. I know some who read mainly for entertainment. It's interesting. I find so much from books and they have helped me to learn about sales, management, the Internet, spirituality, and the list goes on. Now I have a Kindle and read most of my books there, and it is amazing what I am still learning today.

The value of a book to me is the ideas contained therein. The real value of the book is not the idea itself, but the expansion of the idea, the application of it and the understanding of it by virtue of elaboration on the subject. It is interesting being an author myself now that I learned so much by writing a book and how much more I respect those who have had the courage and gumption to write books and put them out there for me to find. Knowing how much work it is, I so appreciate their efforts.

Having spent many thousands of dollars on books over time, it would be easy to consider how that money could have been spent. Jim Rohn says, "never begrudge the money you spend on your own education." That is great advice. In fact, I am completely satisfied with the massive value I have received from the very small investment in money.

Books have helped to bring me to where I am today and where that is is a wonderful place for me. I am so grateful.
The Book I Don't Read, Won't Help.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--Give a book you love away and give some inspiration to others. I love giving great books away. It is a joy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment