Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Daily Inspiration 7-17-12

"Take rest;
a field that has rested
gives a bountiful crop."

-- Ovid

At times I find myself trying to do too much and I run out of energy. Then, I often try to persevere and push through. Sometimes that works, but the results aren't always that good. Most people who know me, know that I'm this way and it isn't as effective as it could be. So, of late, I am trying to take more breaks. Little ones, and bigger ones. The pleasure of my work environment is that I can pretty much choose my schedule, so I am learning to pepper it with some rest and relaxation, and even some enjoyment too.

You probably can relate to being focused on doing a thing and then realizing that you are just staring at it without doing much of anything. That's a great time for a break. Then, coming back, even just a few minutes later, there is a new energy and a new clarity of focus to continue on.

I typically write these inspirations at the end of the day in the evening and very rarely do more than one at a time. I like to reflect on the day and help glean some bits of wisdom I've learned to share. Once in a while, I am glazed looking at the computer screen, my mind in neutral, and my eyes drifting, like I'm in a fog. That's a great time to take a break and last night, that's how it was, so I went to bed early and caught up on my sleep to recharge and re-energize.

At one time I used to feel bad about not completing the task, but now, I try to remember not to take things so dang seriously. When it isn't fun and interesting and enjoyable, it's WORK.

So, I recommend taking bits here and there. A nap if you can in the middle of the day. You could park in the shade at a park and turn on your phone timer for 15 or 20 minutes and you may be amazed how that re-energizes your whole day. Or, do something you enjoy at lunchtime instead of eating a big meal. Or, call a loved one, go to the batting cages, stare off into the distance thinking about nothing at all. Go for a walk is one of my favorites. Something I do throughout the day is look at everything around me and praise God for it, or just take it in and enjoy it, or better yet, be amazed at it all. Nowadays I am pretty much amazed at everything I see, and not just nature, but EVERYTHING I see. What a blessing it is too.
Break Time!
 
Spread Some Joy Today--Want some serious joy? Look around at everything around you throughout the day. When you can modify your thoughts just enough so that you don't see anything wrong or ugly, there will be nothing but joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment