Thursday, July 26, 2012

Daily Inspiration 7-26-12


"I don't need a friend who changes
when I change and who nods when I nod;
my shadow does than much better."

-- Plutarch


I got to see a dear friend the other day who lives a distance away and I see just every few years. We aren't social friends, but more like we find joy in each other, and we love each other very deeply. Though we go different directions and have made many changes over time, that love and joy and deep knowing is as solid as any such thing can be, and I relish that very much.

I looked at a lot of quotes about friendship and there were only a couple that I could relate to this person. The first is at the top from Plutarch who lived pretty close to 2,000 years ago. What this quote spoke to me about my friend is that we go different ways, we even disagree on issues of importance, yet respect totally each others point of view without any insistence that they adopt ours. That is unconditional love and that is exactly how I feel.

The second quote I found was this from one of my favorite people, Henry David Thoreau. He says this about friendship: "The language of friendship is not words but meanings." We see the underlayment of truth or love beneath all the exterior communications. It's just love and pure acceptance.

As I celebrate this friend of whom I speak, I am thinking of a few other friends with whom I have a very similar relationship, and that is pure joy for me to recognize that and to enjoy it. I think of them often and somehow communicate with them without speaking a word. I am very grateful for these few.

"I Have Friends In Overalls Whose Friendship I Would Not Swap For The Favor Of The Kings Of The World."
-- Thomas A Edison
Spread Some Joy Today--Enjoy a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment