Thursday, July 5, 2012

Daily Inspiration 7-5-12

"Any action is often better than no action,
especially if you have been stuck in an unhappy
situation for a long time. If it is a mistake, at least
you'll learn something, in which case it's no longer
a mistake. If you remain stuck, you learn nothing."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I recommend and all the best wisdom (that which resonates with me) states that I need to make decisions from a feeling good point rather than a feeling bad point. In other words, soften the situation and align with it before making a move. And, this is really good advice and I know it, but sometimes I have much more trouble finding that feeling good place before I act, and as Eckhart says, I just need to move sometimes and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that I would have moved.

Tony Robbins calls this breaking your state, or interrupting the state you are in with some kind of action. He even says that running around the block screaming at the top of your lungs might be a good choice to interrupt a tenacious state. I know that I have certainly felt like that before, but have not actually done that running and screaming thing.

What's more natural (not really natural, just common) is to go the opposite direction and internalize, or go within and pull the covers back over our head and either try to ignore it or commiserate with ourselves over our unhappy situation. In other words, extend the problem by putting more focus on the problem.

That won't do. We need to get off that common path and action is one very good way of doing it. At the very least do something physically that takes your mind somewhere else even for a few minutes. Go hit some balls at the batting cages, play a round of golf, run around the block screaming, go for a long walk, go for a drive in the country, go to the gym and workout, go for a swim, go see a movie, in other words, get up and go do something and focus on that for a little while. On return, you will find as I have many times that I feel better, the problem is less, the solutions are peeking their heads over the fence and life is generally improved.
Act More, Worry Less. If It Isn't Fun, It Truly Is Work.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--Go for a walk at lunchtime. It will make the rest of the day go very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment