Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Daily Inspiration 12-6-11

Making A Difference Week


"The world is moved along, not only by the
mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the
aggregate of tiny pushes of each honest worker."

-- Helen Keller


Volunteers are the salt of the earth I think. There is so much in this world that would not be done if it were not for the unpaid efforts of millions of volunteers.

I have been a volunteer in many cases. In one case my volunteer efforts consumed approximately 30 hours per week for 9 years, while I worked a full time job besides. That's about 14,000 hours. Zero dollars, but amply rewarded.

Some might say, how can I get experience? and I will say that one way is to find a way to volunteer your services and get the practice that causes experience. If we always look to be paid for what we can do, we are somewhat limited.

There are so many places and ways to volunteer. You won't have to look far to find them and if you just engage with people, I think they will find you soon enough. I recommend being very choosy. Do what you love, for in so doing you will be more of a help to others and have a good time doing it.

Today, I continue to do volunteer work in many ways and hours in different ways, and I highly recommend it. Part of it is helping others and that is great, but I think that the majority of it is helping ourselves, and I think that is grand. There is nothing better than to be selfish in this way because we are serving ourselves in a fulfilling way and at the same time serving others in a helpful way.



"In Giving You Are Throwing A Bridge Across The Chasm Of Your Solitude." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery


Spread Some Joy Today--People know you care, but still like to hear it now and then. One good way I learned is to say this: "Have I told you that I love you lately?"

No comments:

Post a Comment