Monday, December 12, 2011

Daily Inspiration 12-12-11

"I think the most important thing you need to
understand about the power of technology,
is that you can also turn it off."

-- Tiffany Shlain


I had another awesome day, yet different from yesterday. Today, I was inspired several times by watching some YouTube videos.

I do several blogs and on one called Terry's Thoughts and Things, I post mostly videos that have touched me in some way and the vast majority of them are from the TED organization, which in the last few years has exploded around the world through their TEDx program.

In one I watched today, Tiffany Shlain, a film maker, gave a talk and showed a 4 minute video at the end and the talk is all about connecting and interdependence. It is a very uplifting talk in that to me, she believes the world is getting better, not worse. So many think the opposite and it is refreshing to hear it said differently. During her talk, she said, "If we want this world to be better, we have to believe in humanity."

She also spoke of technology and how "technology is just us." Technology serves, and it also commands.

As an owner of an Internet business, I am using technology so much every single day, and sometimes it is a bit overwhelming. This is why what Tiffany said in her talk about the ability to unplug or turn it off struck a chord with me. So, I am going to try it this coming Saturday and unplug from every screen in my life for 24 hours. It will be interesting to see how that feels. She claims that it slows the day down dramatically. I could use a little of that from time to time.

Below is a video link to her talk and her organization address is www.LetItRipple.org





"We Have To Believe In Humanity." -- Tiffany Shlain


Spread Some Joy Today--Give a loving hug for more than 6 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment