Saturday, August 20, 2011

Daily Inspiration 8-20-11

What I Learned From The Bible Week

These are the things that I learned from a time of reading and studying the Bible that really stood out for me and that still have an effect on me many years later.


"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
Let your forbearing spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer
and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests
be made known to God. And the peace of God,
which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts
and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true,
whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute,
if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things."

-- Philippians 4:4-8


Today is the final installment in Bible Week. I want to try to put together into one little package the very short summary version of What I Learned From The Bible.

First of all, it is subject to personal interpretation, as it should be. For someone else to say what you should get out of it is ineffective at best. I've heard hundreds of sermons from many pastors and that is what they do. Be the same authority for yourself. At least that's what I learned to do. Some will always disagree and that is okay.

What I took from the Bible that stays with me today is the depth of the love of Jesus. There is no greater love that I have known. I am reminded to love others and to be of good cheer. I am reminded to be thankful for everything, not just some things. I am reminded that I am an example and that is my responsibility. I am reminded that God gave me life and the power of choice and that what I do with that is also my responsibility--and my joy. The parable of the talents reminds me of that and encourages me to step out.

I am reminded to praise God, but not in the sense that I need to raise my arms and look up or do anything special, but to be appreciative of all that God has created--including myself--which many of us forget. I now find myself praising God all day long and that is my praying unceasingly. I know I didn't create it, so I give credit where it is due.

I am reminded and I put into what I think is my best song, that God is not just in church, (where is God not?) that there is only one thing we can do to repay his blessings and that is to give Him away. And that doesn't mean joining a denomination, congregation or any kind of group, or even religion for that matter. The way to give Him away is by giving love. Love is the cure and the hope and the light and the word. If I love myself I repay the blessings and then I share that love and the blessings with others.



Study Exposes Simplicity Through Understanding. The Simplicity Of The Bible Is Love.


Spread Some Joy Today--How many people can you send loving thoughts and messages to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment