Saturday, August 13, 2011

Daily Inspiration 8-13-11

"You've got to get to the stage in life where
going for it is more important than winning or losing."

-- Arthur Ashe


"I could not at any age be content to take my place
in the corner by the fireside and simply look on."

-- Eleanor Roosevelt


Many people I know are close to and looking forward to retirement; taking it easy, not working, planning leisure, and the good life. I cannot tell you why, but that idea has never appealed to me in the slightest. I know there are many who live a long life in retirement and it suits them well, and I am very happy for them.

It's strange and funny to some that at the age I am now, I am more active and busier than in my entire life. But, I love it and I feel alive and frankly, I feel younger too! (Actually, mentally, I've never gone past 35). I'm just a couple of months away from when I could retire and collect Social Security. Whoopie! No big deal.

I put off starting a business for a lot of years. But, like Arthur Ashe says so well, you've got to get to the stage in life where going for it is more important. I got there and am loving this place. You've heard the phrase, "you're not getting any younger," often used as an excuse to do something before it's too late. Yet, I feel like I'm getting younger and I am sure it is the decision to go for it that is responsible.

I was talking with the manager of our bank and she was saying that having the security and stability of the job was what was most important to her and that taking risks was not to her liking. Risk has never frightened me much, but it is wonderful that we all get to choose what we want and how we want to do it. And, by the way, risk has its rewards!



GO FOR IT! . . . or not . . .


Spread Some Joy Today--Here's two of my favorite questions whenever I sense a bit of indecision or fear. 1. What am I really afraid of? And, 2. What's the worst thing that can happen? That covers most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment