Thursday, August 18, 2011

Daily Inspiration 8-18-11

What I Learned From The Bible Week

These are the things that I learned from a time of reading and studying the Bible that really stood out for me and that still have an effect on me many years later.


"Rejoice always;
pray without ceasing;
in everything give thanks;
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

-- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


The very first time I read and heard this quote, I loved it. I didn't understand it, but I loved the whole idea of being of that mindset. As I grew to understand it, I loved it even more, and even today, I think of it often.

If I were to say there was one thing that has changed my life for the better (as in joy and peace of mind at the same time), it would be in giving thanks and becoming a grateful person. It's so easy to just do our things all day and not even give all the blessings around us another thought. We've come to expect the sun to come up and go down, and the thousands of other things that go on all around us that are of benefit to us. We often become complacent about them and the amount of joy we miss by doing that is so huge.

It is interesting to me that the line, "Rejoice always;" is verse 16. It is easily one of the shortest verses in the entire Bible, being only two words, yet they are such powerful words. I have come to revere them and seek to have that frame of mind; that joy and power all of the time. I periodically remind myself to make sure. I want to rejoice always! Absolutely!

Verse 17 is only one word longer: "pray without ceasing." It took me a little time to get hold of that line, but once hold of it, it is powerful indeed. It's like a hard-wired connection.

And, verse 18, "in everything give thanks. . ." is something I have come to be a part of me and I take it seriously. Not sternly, but what I mean by seriously, is that I endeavor to be thankful regardless of how it might look. It says in everything, not just the happy things or just the good things, but in all things or everything. I practice this every day now and it gets more natural all the time. The only problem with it is that you will most likely feel alone in this. That is why I might not be talking about giving thanks, but just doing it quietly. The majority don't understand that this is possible, or right. That's okay.

Seek joy is a great motto to have and I do and the best way to joy is with a thankful heart and mind.



Gratitude Is A Decision. Joy Is A Decision. Feeling Good Is A Decision. Circumstances Do Not Rule.


Spread Some Joy Today--What if you were grateful all day long? What if you were thankful in all things, under all circumstances, at all times? Your joy would run wild! How exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment