Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Daily Inspiration 8-17-11

What I Learned From The Bible Week

These are the things that I learned from a time of reading and studying the Bible that really stood out for me and that still have an effect on me many years later.


"Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
And trust in the Lord."

-- Psalm 4:5


"In God I have put my trust,
I shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"

-- Psalm 56:11


Loving is so much easier than trusting. Relaxing judgement in order to be loving is easy in comparison with letting go of control (or, the fantasy of control) and trusting.

I learned a very valuable lesson at a men's retreat where we had many different physical lessons in trusting our fellow brothers. The last of these tests was falling backward off an 8' platform with hands and arms folded in anticipation of my brothers catching me. Most of us did it that same evening and it was a powerful cap to a wonderful weekend--easily one of the most valuable times I've ever had.

Since then about 10 years ago, I've practiced trusting and it is certainly worth practicing. Now I trust God in most of what I do. It has relieved me of worry and concern to a high degree. Though my goal would be complete trust, I find that I am not completely there, but I am trusting and I am relieved, and it is working very nicely.

The best thing from this trust is the lack of fear in comparison with my thinking for most of my life. I'm just not afraid as I used to be about many things. I make decisions of what I think is right or best and then I trust that no matter what, everything will work out just fine.

On my wall is still the sign saying, "WHAT is my job, and HOW is God's job." God gave me the what, and I give Him the how. That's the trust deal. God gave me free will and I do the best I can with what I have to work with. I decide what I want, and start moving toward it trusting that God will help guide the way. And, He does.

This is another of the most valuable things I've learned from the Bible, and it was another that I put into song. This trust deepens as time goes forward and I am so thankful to be on this path of practicing that trust.



I Only Know A Few Things. I'm An Open Learner; However, God Knows All Things. I'll Trust That.


Spread Some Joy Today--Rely on yourself to make the best decisions that you can, trusting that your backup team will support you and help make any needed corrections. Then say, Thank You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment