Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Daily Inspiration 8-2-11

"I believe that everything happens for a reason."

-- Marilyn Monroe


We've all heard it and probably even used it in the past. Everything happens for a reason is a very common phrase. Drew Barrymore added something to this quote in saying, "but, I think it's important to seek out that reason--that's how we learn."

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I want to rephrase this timeworn quote and give it a better and more useful perspective:

"Everything happens as a result. . ."

To me it is so fatalistic to think everything happens for a reason, as if we are here to learn a bunch of lessons and hopefully we're all paying attention and good students to boot. Not. It smacks of something outside of us that is directing us in learning these lessons by giving us these "opportunities" to learn, quite often the hard way so that the lesson then is supposed to be more valuable or something.

Heck, I used that phrase a lot too trying to make sense of things. But now, I am certain (at least for myself) that we are creators and that we create things, events, situation. Everything happens as a result. . . of our thinking, our attitudes, our beliefs, our moods, our actions, our choices. We choose things from the plethora of things to choose from and what happens is a result of any or all of those things. There might be reason involved and maybe not, but reason isn't the reason.



Things Don't Happen To Me--I Choose Things.


Spread Some Joy Today--Accepting responsibility for my own thinking, actions and emotions has brought me a great deal of joy. There is joy in accepting ourselves as creators rather than blaming or excuse finding.

No comments:

Post a Comment