Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Daily Inspiration 10-24-12

"The only person who is educated
is the one who has learned
how to learn and change."

-- Carl Rogers
How many of us have opened our mouths and stupid fell out. It wasn't intentional, and it is possible we may not have recognized it at the time, but it just happens. It happens to me from time to time, and it happened just a day or two ago.
 
I was calling a relatively new client long distance, and I got his voice mail, so I left a message and said something at the end like, '. . . and if you have a mind to, give me a call.' It wasn't flip, it was stupid. It wasn't a good thing to say, and as soon as I hang up, I knew it was stupid to say that. I can only think that I had stuff on my mind that shouldn't have been there and I let that stuff affect my communication with someone who is not only a client but has become a friend.
 
Then, I did the second stupid thing: I didn't call back immediately and change the tone of that ending. I let it go and went on to the next thing. What is that quote above? Learning how to learn and change?
 
So, naturally, he calls back and is concerned about my message, and I told him then that as soon as I hung up I knew it was not cool and apologized.
 
As they say, stuff happens. But, the good news is that I learned from this silly slip. I will endeavor to be more in the moment and less thinking about other things and pay attention and be the encourager and uplifter that I profess to be. I will lay my petty annoyances down and focus on who I'm calling and why. I am learning every single day, and that day was a red letter day of learning for me. And, just in case, if it happens again, I'll immediately call back and repeal the previous message and leave one that is more appropriate!
Thanks, Gary For Your Understanding!
 
Spread Some Joy Today--Ever had a garage sale and gave everything away instead of selling it? Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment