Friday, October 12, 2012

Daily Inspiration 10-12-12


"We've all seen job ads that say, "Five years
of experience required." That may give you a
number, but it tells you nothing. . .
 
How long someone's been doing it is overrated.
What matters is how well they've been doing it."

-- Jason Fried & David Heinemeier Hansson
from the book, Rework.


A long time ago, I heard something that has stuck with me ever since. It was about someone who had 20 years experience--one year, repeated 20 times. As a manager who has hired a lot of people, I could so relate to that as being generally true. And those ads that require a certain volume of time of experience, are missing out on a lot of potential, because potential exists in everyone, regardless of experience.
 
A little experience can be helpful, and a lot can also be a detriment. I know that in the auto business, I generally had an aversion to hiring people with car business experience because in my own hiring experience, I found it harder to untrain their previous experience in order to instill what I wanted. It was easier, and more effective at the same time, to hire people with no experience at all. Maybe a better way to state it is, "we are looking for a few people who have a desire to learn and a passion to serve. We will help with the rest!"


Seeking Harmony With Purpose. . .

 
Spread Some Joy Today--How is your 'Book of Positive Aspects' coming along? Daily entries? Hourly?

No comments:

Post a Comment