Saturday, June 30, 2012

Daily Inspiration 6-30-12

"Sex is good, but not as good  
as fresh, sweet corn."

-- Garrison Keillor




What About Bob? (1991) Bob (Bill Murray) eats dinner...

In recent years, I don't just like certain foods, I relish them, adore them, delight in them. Every time I think of enjoying food, I think of a favorite movie, What About Bob? and how Bill Murray is moaning in joy at each and every bite of the meal in the video clip above. It's classic fun. And, that's exactly how I feel and even respond when I am eating something that I just love even when I am alone.

What's interesting about the things that I love in that way is that they are cheap and easy and readily available. They are not gourmet, but common things. They are almost always a certain combination of things rather than something by itself. Here are some examples of my joyful excursions in food-land:

Bacon and orange juice. It just doesn't get any better than eating some nicely cooked bacon and sipping some orange juice. It is the combination of the orange juice acids on the bacon maybe, but I really don't care why I just love it. I can sit and moan over bacon and orange juice wherever I find myself because it is so easy to get. And the best is freshly squeezed orange juice. Yum!

Of course, while I'm on bacon, I think almost anything with bacon is a joy. BLT's are pretty special. Nation's makes a pretty good one, but nothing holds a candle to the ones I make for myself at home.

Sourdough French Bread and butter. When I was a young boy with my paper route, I would go buy a loaf of unsliced sourdough and some butter and just sit there and enjoy it. Today, I crave and love good sourdough bread toasted with real butter. OMG. What flavor. I chew slowly and it is almost sad to swallow if it weren't for the rest of the toast in my hand. I also love dipping it in olive oil with ground pepper. 

The brand of sourdough makes all the difference. Many don't make the grade, but you'll know when you taste it. FYI--for you Northern California people, Mary's Pizza Shack has always used Boulangerie bread from Sonoma, CA, and it is absolutely the best I've ever had. San Luis brand sourdough bread is my favorite at home.

Black coffee and buttered toast is another great combo, and especially dipping the bread into the coffee and then eating it. I used to love that when I was a kid and still do today.

Sausage gravy. It matters not a bit what I would put it on, it is marvelous. None of that out-of-the-can junk, but the real deal.

Speaking of gravy. . . mashed potatoes and chicken gravy, or any other kind of gravy are superb. I remember going as a young boy to the early Knott's Berry Farm back in the day before they had all the rides and stuff. In fact, there was only one ride then and it was a full-size train. But, they had a huge cafeteria where they served fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and OMG, it was out of this world. There are still places like that out there.

I don't watch as often as I used to, but I love Guy Fieri's cable-TV show, Drive-in's, Diners, and Dives. I love watching him eat the food and he and Bill Murray have a lot in common with me! Bon Appetit!


Enjoying The Simple Pleasures.

Spread Some Joy Today--go and enjoy some!

No comments:

Post a Comment