Sunday, June 3, 2012

Daily Inspiration 6-3-12


"Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do,
but it is giving me that which you need more than I do. "

-- Kahlil Gibran


Do you ever watch a movie, hear an audio, or some other media and something said that jumps out at you like it's shaking you awake to hear it, when others probably didn't think anything of it? I am always looking for those moments because they have much meaning I find and besides, when you're doing a daily inspirational message, it works nicely to be inspired.

So tonight I was watching a movie called Courageous, a Facing the Giants type flick. The brothers who do all these films do a good job of it considering the religious focus. Back to the thing that jumped at me. . . the lead character is talking to a Pastor and in a quandary about what to do about something, and after he told the story, the Pastor paused, and then said this line: "How would you like me to help you?"

Now that seem innocent enough, yet it is very powerful in my mind. Typically, you or I or someone else hearing a story like he told might just jump in and offer suggestions, give advice, explain the facts of life as we see it and more, but this Pastor did none of that. He wants to know two things for sure. One, does he want my help, and two, what would he like me to do for him?

It is such an excellent question.

Yesterday, I wrote down another note as I was thinking about helping people. It was this: "My wanting something for someone else more than they want it for themselves." Isn't it interesting how after writing this down, I happen to watch this movie and that line speaks to me.

What it is telling me as I interpret it is that it pretty much doesn't matter what I want when it comes to someone else. It matters what they want. And then, as I serve them, which I am in business to do, how would they have me serve them?

It's all perception, isn't it? You might think as your are serving someone that you're doing a very good job of it, when the client is not seeing it. Of course, we can't have one way without the other, so we might think we are missing the mark, where the client thinks we excel beyond compare. It is truly all perception.

To end the story, I think it is an excellent addition to ask mentally and perhaps even vocally when serving another, "how would you like me to help you?" or "how would you prefer me to serve you?" We might even be surprised at the answer, and perhaps even encouraged and enlightened.

Helping Others Is So Much Better With Their Participation.
Spread Some Joy Today--by thinking loving thoughts of everyone you encounter today.

No comments:

Post a Comment