Saturday, June 23, 2012

Daily Inspiration 6-23-12

"Work feels like work only when there's resistance.
Otherwise it is a joyful creative adventure."

--Alan Cohen

At the bank, the grocery store and other places, I get asked, "what are you doing for the weekend? on Thursdays and Fridays, and on Mondays, it is, "what did you do for the weekend?" and such.

I create different answers just for the fun of it. Sometimes I say, "I'm going to work because I have so much to do." With this I get stuff like, "oh, that's no fun, or that's a bummer," etc. All of this seems to be based on the popular TGIF (Thank God It's Friday) frame of mind, and with that there must be the Monday Blues because the weekend is too short and then I have to go back to work. Based on that it seems that Wednesday is the only day people are really at work. Monday is a down day, Tuesday is recovering, Wednesday is work, Thursday is preparation for the best day of the week, Friday, and TGIF is here at last.

I can relate to what they are going through, but I don't go through any of that because I don't look at work as a necessary evil in order to do what I really want to do. Instead, I just do what I want to do all the time pretty much. And much of that time is what people call work, but it is a joy for me and not drudgery. I guess that makes my life a long series of Friday-like days. And it is because I have joy regardless of the day.

Where does that come from that work and play are so different from one another? Was it the Industrial Age? Working in an assembly plant doing the same thing over and over until the 8-hour shift was up and you got to go home? Did anyone ever go to that job with joy? Hmmmm. Maybe so, but we never heard about it.

Since 1997, I found a way to love what I do, set my own schedule, and have almost complete time freedom. And, its not the fact that I'm self-employed now because that has only been the last five years. I chose to be an "outside salesman" rather than an "inside salesman" and to most salespeople, that is a frightening move. But it's not really frightening at all. It is an opportunity to be your own boss so to speak by leaving you totally in charge of your schedule. Do or do not, it is all up to you.

But, all that leads to what the real issue is: attitude. How we look at things. How we plug into what other people say, think and do. We have a tendency to go along with others when they are complaining about work or looking so forward to the weekend all the time because we think it is friendly banter. It isn't. It creates a habit of thought. It takes courage to stand on your own and not plug into that mentality. Go your own way and learn to love what you do, release yourself from the so called time constraints you used to think you were under, and be your own boss instead of expecting that of others.

In the end, it is purely a decision, a choice of thinking, a view of the world, and creating your own reality. You choose all the time and you always have. Try choosing the joy of doing what you love to do even if it is what you do now. When we take our mind off the future and the past, all there is is now and that is all we need to choose that we will enjoy ourselves and love what we are doing and love the life we are living.
Happiness Is Always And Simply A Personal Decision.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--by having joy to spread. Choose joy by thinking joyful thoughts, by enjoying what you are doing, by loving life and loving others.

No comments:

Post a Comment