Sunday, June 24, 2012

Daily Inspiration 6-24-12


"It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake,
nor to succeed in order to persevere."

-- Charles The Bold


1,000

With this Daily Inspiration, I've hit 1,000 of them from beginning as a temporary upliftment for a handful in late 2009. Others enjoyed them, I enjoyed doing them and even found much inspiration in doing them myself, and this has grown substantially from that small beginning. But, I never even considered hitting 1,000, let alone 500 or even 100.

Many of you probably have sold or bought something on eBay. So, you're probably aware of the feedback number that sellers and buyers have which helps people have confidence in transacting business with those persons or companies. I started selling on eBay in April 2004 and had a zero feedback number. Then, I finally got 10, 50, 100, 500, 1,000, and now have 11,321 feedback that people see, and I've given 16,047 feedback to others. It's amazing to look at that now compared with the beginning, and these are very small numbers compared to some serious movers and shakers on eBay.

You've heard the old adage of putting one foot in front of the other, or a journey of 1,000 miles starts with the first step I'm sure. Focusing on the destination is what some people think moves them forward, but I'm not convinced of that. If I had set a goal to hit 11,000 feedback on eBay, I think I would not have got past 25 in the process before becoming discouraged and finding something more rewarding to do. The only way that came about was by focusing on what I am doing right now this minute, this hour, this day without counting until that day was done. Even then, I may not count on a regular basis, but just focus on doing rather than achieving.

As a sales manager for over 40 years, I've seen a lot of sales managers and executive managers so focused on the achieving, or the objective, or goal, rather than a more lucrative focus on doing right now. Sure, I've had goals that I wanted to hit, to win a prize, to have the bragging rights and such, and have also become obsessed with hitting targets in my experiences. So many of them resulted in disappointments because if the objective is missed, the prize is not earned.

If, however, we focus on the activity--the doing, the reward is the activity and activity breeds results. Maybe there is other rewards, maybe not. But it is truly in the doing, the putting one foot in front of the other that creates satisfaction, and ultimately creates achievement.

We also may begin with one idea and have it morph into another we may not have considered before. This happened with my experience with eBay, which ultimately became a worldwide business for several years selling nearly 20,000 items. As it has with these Daily Inspirations. Many tell me how much they enjoy them, but none more than me. My satisfaction is in the doing of them, not in the achievement or the results of the effort. Don't get me wrong--I love hearing what others have to say and love reading their comments and encouragement, but I do it because I want to and because I love the doing of it.

Moving At The Speed Of This Moment.
Spread Some Joy Today--by feeling the joy that is natural to you. It isn't something that comes to you, but something you allow from within you. Just let go. There are zero problems in this moment. All the problems are in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment