Friday, June 22, 2012

Daily Inspiration 6-22-12



"Energy cannot be created or destroyed,
it can only be changed from one form, to another."

-- Albert Einstein



I was out for a walk today and was thinking briefly about how in the grandest and the most minute sense, we are all made of energy, or the same stuff. The rock, the cement I was walking on, the trees, the birds, the air all around me, my body is all different forms of the same substance--energy.

As I released that thought for a moment, I thought about my love of trees. I love trees. Every kind of tree. I appreciate them, as they are such benefits to us in many ways and they are also beautiful to look at. Then a whiff of freshly scattered bark caught my nose and what a wonderful smell that is. They recently added all fresh ground bark to the planter areas along my walkway and I was loving catching those whiffs of bark that used to adorn a tree, and now helps control weeds, keep moisture in the soil and adds a great look to the landscaping. I love bark that used to be on trees.

I love wood--wood that used to be a tree but is no longer a tree. I love all different kinds of wood. Soft woods, hard woods, light wood, dark wood, deep grained, slight grained, I love it all. One of my favorite things is to walk through a real lumber yard. Not those indoor wannabe's, but the real ones where they cut wood and have much of it stored outside in the air where the smells of the wood gently mingle with the air I breathe.

I always fantasized myself a fine woodworker like a cabinetmaker of old, with the old wooden planes, a gallery of different saws for different jobs, a massive array of clamps, tools, sanders, shapers, and all sorts of helpful power tools--you know, a real live Yankee This Old House workshop. Of course, I had most of that but the only thing lacking was the skill and patience. And, I've tried several times, have owned three radial arm saws and sold them all. Still I love wood, appreciate good woodsmanship and fine real furniture.

Then there is what is left. Sawdust, chips, shavings. I love it too. Sawdust has so many uses and smells so good too. Then there's burning wood. I love a wood fire, the smell of burning wood. There are many benefits to burning wood, and maybe some problems depending on how much burning there is.

So, I've come full circle and loving every step. I love the tree, the tree body, the smells and feel and the products that can be made from it.

Sometimes we get focused on only one aspect of something when there is so much more. Sometimes we focus on one aspect as being good and other aspects as not good. If what Einstein said is true, then it is all the same thing. Maybe it is affected by the way we view it. . .


I See It Change Before My Eyes. It Is, It Isn't, And Then It Is.
Spread Some Joy Today--It's good to tell someone you love them--especially people you might not normall say that to.

No comments:

Post a Comment