Saturday, May 5, 2012

Daily Inspiration 5-5-12

"You can start right where you stand
and apply the habit of going the extra mile
by rendering more service and better service
than you are now being paid for. . ."

-- Napoleon Hill

Most of my adult life I've studied motivational philosophers of business such as Napoleon Hill who have all said much the same as above. I have a library of Tom Peter's books beginning with In Search of Excellence which glorifies those companies who make going the extra mile a daily mantra and habitual activity. So, I can say that I've had loads of mentors on this subject and believe in this philosophy myself.

Do I always embody this in my daily business life? No. Do I want to? Yes. Is there a point that too much service is given for payment rendered or scope of contract? Where is that line? Who draws it? What is the criterion for individual judgement? Or is there a universal criterion?

I may have a personal philosophy that has me feeling perfectly okay to do one thing, while other team members of high rank or lower may feel somewhat different, especially about certain clients. Some clients are clearly needy in comparison with others. I think this will always be the case. So, the common question remains of how far do we go to serve the client?

These are all interesting questions, and I don't have the answers to all of them, yet as a business leader, I know what I want to do. I want to serve the client to the best of my ability and resources less based on financial criteria and more based on how I feel in my heart. This is commonly expressed throughout time as the Golden Rule. To do unto others as we would have them--even like them--to do unto us.

It is easy as pie to say, "they didn't pay for this, so they shouldn't get it," and such kinds of judgements based on financial aspects and attitudes of the client and the server. Even the fact that this is true doesn't make it good for business. This takes us back to the old adage of "business is business," and "it's not personal, it's business." I've always disliked those personally.

Then, I think of all the transactions and feelings that I have had as a consumer or customer and especially the ones that didn't feel good to help guide me to not repeat those scenarios to my own clients.

Based on all of that, I go with my heart more than anything and I feel good after the decision. Personally and professionally, I think this is all that really matters in making the right decision.
If I Feel Good About It, It IS Good. If I Feel Perfect About It, It IS Perfect. That Works For ME.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--Feeling good is far more important than we realize. Following our bliss, our heart, or however we might say that is a guiding light that is truly amazing and beneficial. It's always personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment