Friday, May 11, 2012

Daily Inspiration 5-11-12

"To be identified with your mind
is to be trapped in time:
the compulsion to live almost exclusively
through memory and anticipation."

-- Eckhart Tolle

We have a certain amount of things in life that we follow regimens in, such as, going to work at a certain time for a specified number of hours, having a list of things to do and working through them and so on. We could call these things a routine. Often, these routines become so habitual that we may even feel trapped within them. I know some people who made themselves sick in order to periodically escape them. One of them was me at one time. This is because sickness is an accepted excuse for upsetting the routine for a temporary period of time.

I think it is healthy and full of personal wisdom to periodically escape the routine on purpose and on the spur of the moment if possible without needing the crutch of sickness as an excuse. I'm not advocating making a habit of it and lose your position in place (or is that place in position?), but often enough that the habit of the routine is not feeling obligatory.

Some call it playing hookey. It's an old game where you make up your own rules while you play. I've grown fond of it, and yet I forget to pull it out and play it often enough. I think I've found a new reason to pull it out more often.

Today was a day worthy of note and exceptionally pleasing. Easily one of the most enjoyable afternoons I've had in many years. I took the afternoon off. I decided to take my wife and dog to a park with a river and stop and get a sandwich and took some chairs and vegged by the water in the shade for a couple hours. It was 85 degrees, but in the shade it was perfect with a nice breeze. We read, enjoyed the birds, geese, and other scenery that we don't normally see every day. It was so peaceful, and since it was the middle of the week, there were very few people there. It was absolutely joyful.

Then we went to a farmers market and wandered through booths of vendors, listening to tropical music in the background, with food being cooked and giving off delicious aromas. It was soothing and interesting and fun.

I was practicing what Eckhart Tolle calls living in the NOW. In fact, his book, The Power of NOW was the inspiration for today's activities and being present in them. I will have more to say about this book and that concept, but I am pleased to share that today's inspiration from Eckhart acted upon spontaneously, was enlightening and absolutely wonderful.
Sometimes We Just Need A Love Break.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--by being present where ever you find yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment