Monday, May 28, 2012

Daily Inspiration 5-28-12

"Spirit, that made those heroes dare
To die, and leave their children free,
Bid Time and Nature gently spare
The shaft we raise to them and thee."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


Today is a day of remembrance of those fallen while serving the United States Armed Forces. There are so many. It helps to remember someone or a few that we may have known, and I am thinking of them today while I do something I've never done before: attending a Memorial Day event at a National Cemetery.

This holiday began as Decoration Day right after the Civil War. For all of my life it has meant very little. I almost always worked during it because of the Memorial Day Saleobrations. Now I choose to celebrate what I will and when.

I've served in the military too and my father, Ralph Minion, is a fallen hero to me. He served in the US Army Air Corps before it was called the Air Force during the end of World War II. He survived the war, and got married and had a family with three children. I was the eldest, a baby-boomer born in 1949.

He joined another uniformed service organization in 1955 called the California Highway Patrol, following his brother who joined in 1948. He rode Harley-Davidson's in places like East Los Angeles. In January of 1964, he was killed on that motorcycle while on duty.

Though this day is traditionally for fallen service people, after visiting the National Cemetery Ceremony and paying respects to the hundreds of thousands, I am remembering my personal fallen hero today by visiting a memorial at the State Capitol in Sacramento with his name and a lot of other fallen heroes all around the state.
Honor Your Fallen Heroes Today--Better Yet, Honor Your LIVE Heroes Today!
 
Spread Some Joy Today--Pay attention to people who matter in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment