Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Daily Inspiration 5-22-12

"For things to change,
you've got to change."

-- Jim Rohn

I was talking with a friend a day or two ago. He used to suffer with severe back problems and he was overweight which only added to that issue. He tried so many external things and even surgery, then rather than seeking any more change from without, he made a firm decision to change within, and that changed everything for him.

He lost a lot of weight, worked out regularly and strengthened his core stomach and lower back. He stands differently now. He is fit. He is in shape. He has a flat stomach. He looks 10 years younger though he is 10 years older. It is an amazing transformation. He exudes confidence and strength and he is an inspiration for those who would like to consider taking charge of their bodies.

It has been over a year, maybe two since his change, and it is common for people to lose a lot of weight and then to gradually gain it back. I've done it, I've seen many do it. So, I asked him how he has continued to do it when so many others have gone back. His answer was telling. He said, "I remember what it was like before. I don't ever want to forget it." He went on to say that "I am only one Big Mac away from going back to the way it was." I told him that I totally related to that because I quit smoking 10 years ago in April and I'm still only one cigarette away from going back there. I also told him that I totally related to his first answer about remembering what it was like. I remember the coughing so it keeps me on the path.

I asked him how often he goes to the gym and he said that he went every day for a time, and now averages about 4 days a week. His routine of going to the gym is so much a part of his life now that it is his new life. Whereas before, maybe he was on the couch with the remote, and now he is at the gym.

He is the embodiment of Jim Rohn's message. For things to change, you are the one that needs to change. It isn't the thing or the circumstance or the environment or the situation. Those are all external indications of an inward thought pattern. The real change must be us. Once we change, all the rest will change along with it. He has a whole new lifestyle now, and it is a healthy style that radiates from him for all to see.
"As Above, So Below. As Within, So Without."
-- The Emerald Tablet, circa 3000 BC
 
Spread Some Joy Today--Send someone a thank you just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment