Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Daily Inspiration 11-6-12

"Ease is not a sin or an anomaly.
It is your natural state
."

-- Alan Cohen   

  

For a long time I was suspicious, but now I think I am at least intellectually sold on the idea that ease is our natural state. However, that is certainly not what we have been taught through the ages. We have been taught the opposite. We've been taught that if it is hard, it is a challenge and if we persevere regardless of the difficulty, we become a hero, one who overcomes the odds to win.

I am now persuaded--and it was not an easy task, because I held on to the hero bit with vigor--yes, I am persuaded that ease is the way. I know when that tidbit of enlightenment came upon me. It was when I was given the metaphor of being in a rowboat and rowing upstream fighting the current, or instead, allowing the current to take me with ease. I have been persuaded that everything I want is downstream, when I always thought it was upstream. No wonder life was hard.

The next issue is my own resistance to the actual doing of that little feat. Since I held on with vigor, the idea of putting the oars in the boat was tantamount to failure, giving up. The shame of it all. . . But, I am learning to think about ease being a good thing and difficulty being something I would rather avoid. Of course, when you think of it that way, it makes sense, doesn't it?

So now I am having thoughts like, 'if this is difficult, it doesn't feel good or right, so I must be resisting the easier way.' The first step is awareness, right? The second step after assimilation is to practice it and actually think. That shouldn't be any work either. I think that if people are going to do a thing, it must be easy in order to be popular and it sure helps to get things done!

Next time you're up against a difficulty, or challenge, and you find yourself bucking up and rowing upstream, try thinking about what you're doing and consider there may be a far easier and more natural way to achieve the objective. It will require more and more trust I think, but that will get easier and easier with practice too.    


 
Here's A Good Place To Say, 'Let Go and Let God.'
 
Spread Some Joy Today--What can you do to help someone else today? Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment