Sunday, November 18, 2012

Daily Inspiration 11-18-12

"The end of should.  
Banks should close at 4, 
books should be 200 pages long,
CEOs should go to college, 
blogs should have comments. . .
Find your should and make it go away."

-- Seth Godin   


Seth Godin Week

This week I will explore his marketing
and business wisdom
  

Should. It is a far too powerful word. It is also the major cause of another all too powerful word: frustration. We're only frustrated because we think a thing or experience should be one way, but it is not, hence, the frustration.

I think that many, if not most of us use the word should internally far more than externally. In other words, we should ourselves by saying to ourselves, or intimating it that we should do something, we should have done something, and often those do not come to pass as planned, and then we become frustrated with ourselves.

Seth suggests in the quote above that we create the end of should by making our own shoulds go away. The best way I know to do that is to allow things to be the way they are without any insistence that they be something they are not. This requires letting go of your rules. There are no rules. There just is what is. Let it be.

If you want something else, then make it happen on your own, but don't expect things to be a certain way from others.

You might even find as I have the gentle peace that comes from not having to be in charge all the time. I gave up the throne. Now I only direct myself, but without the should word. Well. . . it's a hard thing to completely let go of, but I'm very close.    


 
I Let The World Make Any Decision It Wants. It Will Go On Nicely Without My Advice.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--You should spread some joy today. . . just kidding. . . you may choose to go forth and be joyous. . . or not as you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment