Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Daily Inspiration 11-27-12


"To become enthusiastic,
act enthusiastically!"

-- Frank Bettger


In 1973, after starting in the automobile business as a salesman just the year before, I went to the local library looking for books on sales to learn the craft that seemed so unfamiliar to me. There sure wasn't much available, but I found a book written in the year I was born in 1949 by a guy named Frank Bettger with a strange title: How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling. Dale Carnegie of How To Win Friends and Influence People fame encouraged him to write it about his success in sales and then got him involved in another passion of Dale's, public speaking. So I checked the book out and read it. (Both of them.)
 
There is much to tell about this wonderful sales-oriented book, and of course, I highly recommend it. I've read it at least 10 times and bought and gave away a good number of copies of it. I still have many copies and a few signed ones too.
 
In Chapter 30, he hit home with me in the car business. It began, "The other day, I tried to figure up how many automobiles I have bought in my time. I was surprised to find that I had bought approximately thirty-three cars.
 
He goes on to say, "Now let me ask you a question: How many different salesmen would you guess sold me those thirty-three automobiles? Exactly thirty-three. Isn't that amazing? Not one of those salesmen ever once, to my knowledge, made an attempt to get in touch with me again."
 
He adds some power to this with this: "Is that unusual? Listen, I have asked more than fifteen thousand people in audiences all over the country if anyone ever had that same experience, and more than half of them promptly raised their hands."
 
This was a most powerful and memorable message for me to remember to follow up. Closing the sale is not the end of the transaction, but it certainly can be.



It's What Happens After The Sale That Often Makes All The Difference.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--It's amazing what a nice card with a simple message will achieve. . . today is a good day for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment