Thursday, November 1, 2012

Daily Inspiration 11-1-12


"[I'm] authorizing myself to be great today!"

-- Juliet Doherty


I watch a lot of TED videos. If you aren't familiar with TED, go to www.Ted.com and see some of the thousands of great videos. In recent years, they expanded to a program called TedX allowing and encouraging people all around the world to use their format to hold their own Ted conferences and videos. Many of them are priceless. I found yet another today that I thought I would share with you because I thought it was a powerful idea and use Ted's theme of ideas worth spreading.
 
Below is the video link if you would like to watch it. It is a 15 year old ballet dancer named Juliet Doherty and in the six minute video she talks for about two and a half minutes, then shows some of her great dancing skills. It was her words that got my attention and the idea that jumped off the screen at me was to stop competing and just do, enjoy, be yourself, be great. Here is the majority of the text of her awesome talk with text in bold that stood out for me:
 
She begins with two photos of herself and stating, "this is me being great when I'm at age 2. Here I am again at age 4. You may not see it, you may not recognize it, but I'm being great. We are all great. We are all born that way. . ."
 
She trained from a very young age and her mother was her coach. She was about to go to a big competition and it was at this point that her parents told her this:
 
"It's time for you to stop competing. Now is the time for you to just dance; to just perform; to enjoy yourself. You will still be in the competition, but now it is time for you to go and just dance.
 
It's time for you to stop judging and evaluating yourself. That's not your job. Everyone else in the world can and will continue judging and evaluating you. It's just what people do. Especially the judges. That's their job.
 
But you are the only one that can authorize yourself being great. You are the only one who can own your own greatness. That's your job.
 
So this is what I've come to understand: I love dancing, but if you love to paint, then go paint. If you love science, go experiment. If singing is your thing, belt it out. Be yourself and be great.
 
We all get so busy playing this excellence game that we forget that. We have all bought into excellence. Now while it's important to work to achieve what we want, excellence isn't greatness and it never will be, like red will never be blue.
 
Our satisfaction doesn't lie in our achievements or our rewards (though they are fun!), it lies in remembering who we are; when we connect; when we see ourselves in each other; when we remember who we are.
 
So if I have something to leave you with today, it's go remember who you are, and who you are is GREAT!"
 


Who You Are Is GREAT!

 
Spread Some Joy Today--by being yourself and being great.

No comments:

Post a Comment