Monday, November 12, 2012

Daily Inspiration 11-12-12

"Few things prompt a person to
follow through like accountability.
One of the ways you can do that
is to make your goals public
."

-- John C Maxwell   

  

In my continuing personal observations of John C Maxwell's new book, The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth, I saw this quote above in the chapter on the second law, the Law of Awareness. Have you ever seen this or a similar message somewhere, or been told that this is a good strategy?

I've seen it many times and it has never really worked for me. The idea is that others will help keep you on track of what you say you want to do. And, they might for a while, but generally not for long. In fact, at least in my experience, that this strategy was harder on me than failing to follow through. I really didn't need the additional pressure and it was a negative.

My philosophy based on my own successful follow through is that it just has to be between me and me. It has to rise to the level that it doesn't matter at all what anyone else thinks about what I'm going to or committed to doing. It only matters that I do it for myself.

I don't need a support group or any other crutch or pressure, what I need is to see myself where I want to be and to become it but moving into that picture. If I decide to lose 20 lbs., I need not announce that to the world, but to see myself 20 lbs. lighter and how that feels and how I look and then become it by moving into that picture. It must be for my reasons, for me alone so the change will become entirely personal.

If I'm going to write a book, having a cheering section, or a progress oversight committee, is counterproductive. I just need to do it. The important things I actually succeed at doing, others found out about long after it was up and running.        


 
Knowing What I Want Is A Good Motivator, Deciding To Act Is A Helpful Second Step, But Knowing WHY And That Being Important To Me Creates The Discipline To Do It.
 
Spread Some Joy Today--What action can you do today in gratitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment