Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Daily Inspiration 10-20-09

"A man can only rise, conquer, and achieve by lifting up his thoughts

He can only remain weak, abject, and miserable
by refusing to lift up his thoughts."

- James Allen, As A Man Thinketh**

I have learned that one of life's best teachers is watching other people and really paying attention to them in what they say, how they say it, how they interact with me and others. Are they uplifting or downgrading? Are they whining and complaining or are they thankful and encouraging?

It has become one of life's best teachers because I get to see myself in others. I have learned to recognize myself in them and see what I either look and sound like now or what I looked and sounded like in the past. Either way, it is an awesome spectacle and immensely worthwhile.

I can see in others if they are choosing their thoughts, or if they are going with the flow of reactionary emotion. It is also interesting who plays along when watching their interactions with others.

Sometimes, someone will complain about something, then the other chimes in, then it goes back and forth like a tennis match, each contributing a shot. I used to play it well and I catch myself every now and then getting on the tennis court and then. . . I actually hear what is coming out of my mouth and sometimes, I will stop in mid-sentence and say to myself, "this is not what I want to do."

Lifting up my thoughts is totally my own choice and it is done on a moment to moment basis. It's not just about "positive thinking," but more about asking myself, "is this what I want to do? Do I really want to think this way?" The answer is now always a definite, "no."

I can "only rise, conquer, and achieve by lifting up my thoughts." One way this is strengthened is by me asking myself, "what is right about this?, or what are the benefits of this?, or what could be good about this?" So, when you're broke and not currently able to pay your bills on time, or maybe not even at all for the moment, ask yourself, "what could be good about this?" Some people have been losing their homes and though it may be initially difficult, ask yourself, "what could be good about this?" If you say, "nothing," you are refusing to lift your thoughts and you are, at least for the moment, stuck where you are. You can change any second you decide to. I can make you a list of what could be good about that situation, and hopefully you can try to do the same. It will empower you!

To me, "lifting up my thoughts" means that I focus on what I want instead of what I do not want. It means focusing on solutions or potential solutions instead of the problem. It means paying attention to what I say to myself about situations and events. It means finding ways to be grateful instead of frustrated or unhappy. Events and situation DO NOT dictate thought. It is the other way around.

Here's to the new and improved, empowered YOU!

It Is Make Your Own Decision To Have An Awesome Day Day!

Spread Some Joy Today--Focus On What Is Right Or Good About Everything Just For One Day. You Are The Ultimate Judge!

No comments:

Post a Comment