Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Daily Inspiration 8-31-10

"Judgment traps you within the limitations
of your comparisons. It inhibits freedom."

-- Willie Stargell


"Life has no limitations, except the ones you make."

-- Les Brown



I have learned from a great deal of study and research that judgment is much of the time something to avoid and yet something that is unavoidable. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but to me it is not unless I think of the word judgment the way I used to, where I would always say this way is right and that was is wrong and the judgment is the conviction of the wrong and justification or support of the right. I mean, that's what I was taught at a young age and all through most of my life in listening, paying attention and observation.

Yet, I've let go of that kind of judgment. Now it is more a matter of preference. It has nothing to do with right or wrong. That doesn't even enter into the idea anymore. It is now just a choice--I'm making a judgment, or a judgment call.

The first way is as Willie Stargell says, ". . . traps you within the limitations of your comparisons. It inhibits freedom." It sure does. Then, who is right today? We can rest assured that may not be the same tomorrow. Who's on first? What's on second! If I say or believe it is wrong, though it may be the opposite, I am very much limited by my judgment.

The second way is matter-of-fact benign. We have no limitations other than what we choose to make. By only judging the choice from a preference perspective, I may limit myself or not by that choice in what I choose to do with the information. Perhaps I will choose to limit my activities because I'm kicking back for a while. But, there is no judgment from my old perspective of that's good or that is bad. It just is.

I prefer the word choice. It speaks to a better way.


It Is Always My Choice Even When It May Seem Otherwise.

Spread Some Joy Today--Change your view--just for today--to choice instead of judgment. See if you don't feel so much better in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment