Sunday, August 22, 2010

Daily Inspiration 8-22-10

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God
in Christ Jesus concerning you.."

-- 1 Thessalonians 5:18, The Bible


"I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before;
second, because although they took my purse, they did not take my life;
third, because although they took my all, it was not much;
and fourth because it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed."

-- Matthew Henry



It is among the easiest things in the world to complain of things that occur that we are not pleased with. We find it so easy to tell anyone who will listen of wrongdoings, misfortune, or make excuses for shortcomings, tardiness, and the list is endless. We find more than sufficient justification in the daily news, the broadcasted statistics, the general malaise of others which allows us to feel a part in an attempt to feel whole. We really do it to feel good, or feel better, but it is a hollow and unrewarding endeavor.

I have found the key to changing this and practiced for now many years and I practice it yet today and plan to do so every day from here on. This key will turn all of that last paragraph around. It is as the quotes above state: to be thankful in all things.

Now, I know that this is really easy to say and not so easy to do, yet I know that if I can do it, anyone can.

And, here's the key: be thankful in ALL things--even, and especially when they are not as you would have wanted them to be. The quote by Matthew Henry is a perfect example of an unhappy situation that he has not only come to terms with and resolved within himself, but is grateful for the experience and lists the reasons and what has been learned or received in value from the event. This is so powerful a thing to practice: to find ways to feel better through gratitude. There is nothing more releasing than being thankful.

One more key: practice! This is not something that happens overnight. It is something that will come clearer and easier, step by step, until it becomes you--the better you, the kinder, gentler you; the joyous you! Once I was aware, I would catch myself thinking or saying something that I would have in the past. It is then that I stop mid-thought, mid-sentence and put my practice to work seeking to be thankful, to find what's right about this situation, to find what is good, to drain away the events power. And, it works, as well, the more I practice it, the more and faster it works.

Once you get here, there isn't a power on earth that can hold you down again. We have so much more power than we think and we have so much more to be thankful for than we think. Even when I might find it difficult to be thankful for what is not going well, I can find plenty of things to be thankful for outside of that and this helps me stay on track.

Try it. With a bit of effort, it will be a guaranteed success!


If I Truly Believe In God, I Must Be Thankful. Think About It.

Spread Some Joy Today--Practice being thankful. It will bring joy to you and rub off on everyone you are near.

No comments:

Post a Comment