Thursday, August 26, 2010

Daily Inspiration 8-26-10

"Appraisals are where you get together with your team leader and agree what an outstanding member of the team you are, how much your contribution has been valued, what massive potential you have and, in recognition of all this, would you mind having your salary halved."

-- Theodore Roosevelt



Trust me. I'll keep this positive and upbeat, and at the same time have to laugh a bit at this quote by Teddy Roosevelt which hit home with me. Having worked for over 40 years for others in various positions, I've always heard about the "annual review." What's funny to me is that I've been required to give them at several places where I was a manager, but in all of my time working, I received only one official review that I can recall (thank goodness!), which was extremely flattering--and even more interesting than that, within 35 days of the review, my salary was cut by one third to help the company through a rough spot.

When I'm on a team, I am a team player, and I accepted this with grace and as much positive spin as I could muster. That was a huge difference and it was instituted immediately. Here's the other side of that deal: four years later, it didn't come back. Sometimes the team is entirely subjective and selective.

The good news for me is that I look back on this event as the beginning of a change in thinking that has led me where I am today: self-employed. Now, I'm not necessarily recommending this as an option. It is not for the faint of heart, but it was an option that became very attractive to me and I look back in thankfulness of this event and other events that gave me encouragement.

I was also appreciative of the positive words. I always like to hear people say kind things. Who doesn't? One of the most important things I learned from those positive words is that they don't much matter in the scheme of things. Now, don't misunderstand. I'm not saying they are lies or anything like that. It's just that they are so very temporary and subject to review and change. What I am most appreciative of is how all of that helped me to say good things to myself about myself and to believe more in me as a valuable member and to believe in MY potential.

So one big difference now is this: if I must take a cut for a short period to help out the cause, when the cause is fulfilled, I will not be waiting and hoping or asking it to be well again. No. I will be rewarding myself for my team spirit and my commitment and my value.

I thank God for those events and those learning experiences. They have changed my life for the better so much and I am eternally grateful.

It's a wonderful thing!


I'm Totally In Charge Of My Own Daily Review. I Don't Allow Others That Authority.

Spread Some Joy Today--Okay. Give yourself an annual review today. Write it out and tell the truth. Say it like it is. Be sure and point out your value, your contribution, your potential. Give yourself a raise while you're at it. Go on. You can do it. Feels good!

No comments:

Post a Comment