Friday, August 13, 2010

Daily Inspiration 8-13-10

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently
that which should not be done at all."

-- Peter Drucker


I'm realizing more each day that it is not just what I do that matters, but what I choose to no longer do. I know I must have a list of things that I do, perhaps even well, but that achieve nothing of value.

It's so hard to let go, isn't it? Yet, it is like a burden that we bear and sometimes even being a martyr about it too. Like a business that it not working. We think it will turn around soon, so we keep working, pouring money into it and hoping.

I think about a Warren Buffett quote I saw recently, "Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks." Now, here's a guy people listen to and of course, anyone with a brain would have to agree that it makes a bit of sense.

It's not just about business, is it? How many things do we do in our everyday work life, or personal life that we might be better off not doing any more? How about storing things we think we will use again, yet never do. I know there are things in storage that I haven't even seen or touched in years, and the rent keeps getting paid each month.

Change. It's about doing things, doing things differently, doing different things--and, it's about no longer doing things that we don't need to do. The last one is the hardest, isn't it? Yet, it might be good to take an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper and print in big letters, "What can I let go of that I no longer use or need today?" That might be a good reminder to remember that aspect of change. . . or not. . .


It's All In The Willingness To Change. . .
Where Is My Cheese, Anyway? I Know I Left It Around Here Somewhere!

Spread Some Joy Today--There is absolutely nothing like decisions to move the needle. Is that your final answer? Saying, "yes!" will bring you joy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment