Sunday, April 4, 2010

Daily Inspiration 4-4-10

"The things I want to know are in books; my best friend
is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read."

-- Abraham Lincoln


"These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves."

-- Gilbert Highet


"Read an hour every day in your chosen field. This works out to about one book per week, 50 books per year, and will guarantee your success."

-- Brian Tracy


"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. . . and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life."

-- Walt Disney


Reading books is far better than watching the movie. The thing that makes it better is the active use of my imagination. The words in the book create a picture in my mind. I can even "hear" the different accents the people may have as they speak their lines. The better the writer, the more vivid the imagery. It's like an exercise program for my imagination.

In my early twenties, I developed an affection for books and began building my own library, and it grew into several thousand books. Not a good idea if you move a lot, but I have always loved having books around.

They take up space, yet they add a certain kind of warmth to a room. I do like the idea of the Amazon Kindle or other new readers, but haven't made that transition yet. I'm sure it won't be too long before I join the club. All in all, I think I have benefited greatly from the reading and collecting of my books.

I also have a little book business and a couple years ago, I bought the complete library of an 81 year old gentleman who was downsizing his life. He had quite a collection and I was thrilled to be on the receiving end of that deal. I suppose at some point, we just need to let go of them, but, not too soon I hope.

In the meantime, I keep reading and learning and sharing, and adding to my collection and my knowledge. It's been worth every second, all the expense, and even moving them many times. What a bargain a book is, and what a blessing.


I Love Books. Each One Is A Valuable Treasure.

Spread Some Joy Today--Join the book club. It will expand you and you may find treasure as well. Worst case. . . you'll find knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment