Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Daily Inspiration 2-3-10

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it."

-- William James


"You cannot teach a man anything;
you can only help him find it within himself."

-- Galileo


William James says it so well, and I have found it in just the last few years on a consistent basis, yet the strangest thing is that it seems as if I have taken a tablespoon out of the ocean. The abundance that exists in this place is beyond measure. In the past as I look back, I can clearly see now those spots when I felt most deeply and vitally alive and heard the inner voice. They were few and far between then.

I wanted more and I wanted someone to show me, but as Galileo so aptly stated, "You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself." All of the study I have engaged in has taught me what I already knew deep down, after I allowed it. It is as though what I hear from my 'teachers,' is uncovering my true self as if a blanket were removed from a bed.

I think we are all so much more wise and knowledgeable than we think we are. I know in my own teaching of others that I have felt as if I were just helping them find it within themselves too. I see teaching as more encouragement than anything--encouragement to allow, rather than to absorb knowledge.

This probably sounds mystical and mysterious. It is a challenge to describe it. Yet, when I read the William James quote above, I just totally understood it to the core immediately. I think for much of my life, I kind of let stuff get in the way. You know, the daily grind stuff, the complaining stuff, and the mixed emotional stuff. You might know it as reality.

I've learned that reality is not a physical thing, but an attitude thing. There is no such thing as The Reality, but there is my reality, your reality and their reality. The blanket is the reality. Allowing the teaching to uncover the blanket of reality can expose the real person we all are. It's like the movie Cocoon, where the friendly aliens wore human suits, and when they took them off, there they were in all their glory.

As the blankets come off, the real person will come to dominate. That, my friends, is bliss in greater and greater abundance. Joy is the expression of it. How awesome!


Where's My Blanky? I'm Feeling So Exposed! Yeah Baby!

Spread Some Joy Today--When you get to work today, please remember to take off your blanky and let the real you lead the way. Expose your coworkers to some of your joy! It may very well be an enlightening experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment