Friday, February 12, 2010

Daily Inspiration 2-12-10

"If you don't like something, change it.
If you can't change it, change your attitude."

-- Maya Angelou


"Like the waves of the sea are the
ways of fate as we voyage thru life.
'Tis the set of the soul which decides
its goal and not the calm or the strife."

-- Ella Wheeler Wilcox


What happened to the good old days? Where have all the flowers gone? Who put the ram in the ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong? Who moved my cheese?

"God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference."

-- The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr

I love the Serenity Prayer because it says so much in a short space. There are things that we can't seem to change, as much as we might want to or need to. It's hard to accept that, and it's okay to accept that. . . IF. . . we have the courage to change the things that we can change--and we all know truly that there is much that we can change--and this prayer is asking for that courage.

The last line that strikes home with me: the wisdom to know the difference. That is such a powerful line because many times we don't know the difference. The lines are blurred, we sometimes feel powerless to even change the things that we know we have the power to change--or at least others can see that. Sometimes we're just too close to an issue to know the difference. That's where the first line comes in: "God, grant me the serenity . . ." There is more than we are here. Whatever we might want to call it. Some call it the Universe. I'm okay with that. Some call it our Higher Power, and a hundred more different names. The name is not important, it's the idea--the reaching out part--the asking for help part that is so powerful and so healing too.

I don't really mean this inspirational message to be about religion. It's not. It's about knowing that we didn't create this place, we just live here. Someone, or something else created it. There is more than we are. That something more is all powerful. Asking the all powerful for some guidance is in itself a very powerful thing. And answers come. And serenity is granted. The act of the request is powerful.

This recession, or whatever name you want to give it, is taking its toll on millions of people. Some feel it much more than others, and I don't think anyone is completely exempt. And, sometimes, though we try so hard to put on our happy face, it gets to us. Maybe it even hits hard. That is a great time to reach out.

It happened to me yesterday. I was sitting in my truck and I remembered a song I wrote for church that was very personal. I hadn't even thought of the song in a couple of years, since I left the worship team at church, but yesterday it came and I sat there singing it inside and reaching out and I was instantly soothed and ready to keep going again. You might relate to the words in this song, so I include them here:

May I Come Into Your Peace

May I come into your peace and rest my soul?
For the world around me sometimes takes its toll
Lord, I need your sheltered comfort more this day
May I come into your loving peace today?

The world is spinning 'round; can't let it get me down
So, let the world keep spinning, while I seek your peace
Raise me to my knees and let me feel your ease
Lord, you're always there to save me when I call your name

---------------------

1. Keep the positive thoughts and input coming all the time. Keeping reaching for inspiration. 2. Be ever thankful for everything. Yes, everything. 3. Act on your inspiration. Keep moving and doing. 4. Stuff happens. Reach out when you need to. Your serenity is waiting.


I Am Open And Reach Out To Guidance And Inspiration.

Spread Some Joy Today--Be of good cheer to all around you today. There is entirely too much seriousness everywhere we turn. Fun is good. Cheerful is encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment