Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Daily Inspiration 2-16-10

"If you observe a really happy man you will find him building a boat, writing a symphony, educating his son, growing double dahlias in his garden. He will not be searching for happiness as if it were a collar button that has rolled under the radiator."

-- W Beran Wolfe


"Happiness is not in having or being; it is in doing."

-- Lilian Eichler Watson


W Beran Wolfe's quote is excellent. When I am doing the things I absolutely love to do, I lose track of time completely.

In the late 1980's, I spent thousands of hours recording music. I would start when I got off work, and go until I couldn't keep my eyes open. On the weekends, it would be non-stop. It was a magnificent obsession. Something else came to take its place, but I can say that I have loved almost everything I've done with rare exceptions. It sure does make the time slide by quickly.

Now my magnificent obsession is writing and building my businesses. It's always something. Thank goodness. It is in the doing that my life has meaning to me. I get into the thing and out of myself when I do something I love. It is awesome!

There is something that might help. Some call it the "bucket list," but write out 101 things you want to do before you die. Then start doing them, crossing off as many as possible. Be outrageous and don't limit yourself. If you can imagine it, it can be done.

Beverly Sills used to say, "I.A.D.T." which stands for "I already did that." She was very much into new experiences and trying things. She knew she didn't need to make a career out of each one, just to do it until she didn't want or need to anymore.

I've got my list and am working on it. I have a long way to go. You don't even need to tell anyone else about it, just make the list and start crossing them off.

Here's some I've crossed off in recent years: Learn to fly and get a pilot's license, write songs, perform my songs in public, collaborate with other songwriters, learn to record music, go to Hawaii, go to Australia, become a consultant, own multiple businesses, learn to sell on eBay, become a published writer, quit smoking, fly in a helicopter, live in one house more than 20 years, learn to build websites, learn to blog, read 50 books in a year, own the world's largest collection of something, go on a cruise. That's just a few and the list is constantly being extended as I go through life. All of these things gave me happiness as I did them and even now as I look back on them. Quitting smoking is the one I continue to rejoice in daily.

What are some of your magnificent obsessions--those things you really want to do someday? Make a list and have some fun with it. Put some on there that you've already done that you feel good about and get some crossed off right away. It's okay. It's your list. It may change your whole life!



I Am, Therefore I Do, Because It Just Feels So Right!

Spread Some Joy Today--Do something today that you have been wanting to do. It could be something very simple. Just do it. The way you will feel then, will be so powerfully contagious that everyone around you will feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment