Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Daily Inspiration 2-17-10

"Take time to accept responsibility. Your life is exactly that--It's your life. It is created by you. You are constantly making choices, constantly creating new experiences. And although we can be affected by circumstances which can seem to be completely out of our control, essentially, we decide the direction in which we walk."

-- Nicolas Watkins


I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul."

-- William Ernest Henley


"You always do what you want to do. This is true with every act. You may say that you had to do something, or that you were forced to, but actually, whatever you do, you do by choice. Only you have the power to choose for yourself."

-- W Clement Stone


There is such power in these quotes. To be the master of my fate and the captain of my soul is so empowering and offers me such freedom. Once I have accepted responsibility for my life, my life finally became mine.

"The devil made me do it." That is a great line from Flip Wilson back in the '80's. Of course, it was really only a justification for making a choice that someone else might find fault in. Blaming it on the devil is the ultimate excuse.

The reality is that we make choices. That is the ultimate power of life: to be able to make choices. We don't always make the best choice, perhaps, but it is a choice nonetheless. Accepting responsibility for my life is accepting responsibility for my choices and my choices determine my experience.

That is as simple as it gets. It is simply cause and effect. We make a choice (the cause) and we get an effect (the experience). It doesn't matter whether it is our personal life or our business life, or even the government. Make a choice, reap an experience, or result.

Of all the things that I have learned in the last few years, this is something I rejoice in every minute of every day. I have the power to change by changing my thinking, which changes my choices, which changes my experience. No more does anyone, or anything, or any dogma rule me. I rule me exclusively by the choices I make.

Having come to this simple conclusion, I can no longer blame anything or anyone for what happens in my life. Not the government, taxes, interest rates, recessions, who's in office, the weather. None of it. I tell you that the effect of this realization is so life-changing and empowering. It also means that if I am experiencing something I don't want, I can change it, by making different or better choices.

Free at last! Free at last. Thank God almighty, I'm free at last!
(I borrowed this from Martin Luther King, Jr., because it seemed so appropriate!)


I Am Master Of My Fate And Captain Of My Soul!

Spread Some Joy Today--Think about the power in this today. You need not doing anything else. Others will see it in you and feel it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment