Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Daily Inspiration 9-4-12

"I think fitting in is highly overrated. I'd rather just fit out. . .
Fitting out means being who you are, even when people
insist that you have to change. Fitting out means taking up
space, not apologizing for yourself, and not agreeing with
those who seek to label you with stereotypes."

-- Golda Poretsky

The quote above sounds so independent minded and being so sure of oneself and not being concerned what others think, but doing as we think is best regardless. It speaks of being yourself, even in the face of criticism. It's so stereotypical in its own way.
 
I used to love the whole idea of this quote and in fact tried to live most of my life this way. Standing out just enough, but not all the way. But, I was doing a lot of that to seek approval which, according to how I interpret this quote, is the opposite of what it is saying. So my unique individualism was more or less a way to get positive attention and to fit in, even though it was the long way around the block so to speak.
 
My life changed the most when I simply changed my focus from me to others. Not that I gave up on me, or no longer cared for some attention, but I just stopped thinking so much about me and what I was doing all the time. I started seeking ways to help others, to help businesses and more. I mentor people in my own way, and provide value wherever I can, whenever I can. To even make it simpler, I began to share.
 
Jim Rohn, my favorite mentor as I was growing said it this way: "Sharing makes you bigger than you are. The more you pour out, the more life will be able to pour in." He brought that into focus with this simple warning: "Learn to express, not impress."
 
What going down this path has changed for me is that I feel so much more satisfaction from what I do and I feel that I am providing value; becoming a person of value, rather than someone looking to fit in or even to fit out.
What Can I Do To Be Of Service To Others? What Do I Have To Share? How Can I Help?
 
Spread Some Joy Today--See who you can help today.

No comments:

Post a Comment