Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Daily Inspiration 9-26-12

"No man will make a great leader
who wants to do it all himself,
or to get all the credit for doing it."

-- Andrew Carnegie

When I'm around other managers high ranking and lower ranking, I pay attention as much as I can in how they handle affairs--particularly, small affairs. It is fascinating to me, and quite illuminating.
By small affairs I mean whether they take your call or not, how they schedule their time, whether they are approachable or not, how calm or impatient they are, whether their focus is on you while you are in front of them or whether they are elsewhere mentally, if they take calls while you are there, whether they allow interruptions during a meeting, and so on.
Having been in management since 1975, I am fully aware of how much there is to do and how busy one can get, but it is the ones that are so busy they haven't time for the truly important things that miss the target as far as I'm concerned. I mean those who have no time to discuss an idea, a potential benefit, considering it instead an interruption to the massive list of tasks, meetings, messages and so on.
I've met many managers who won't go to lunch because they are so damn important and need to be near the center of things. Yet, lunch is one of the best places to make deals, learn new ideas, develop relationships, exchange important information and so much more. In fact, I think taking someone to lunch is one of the most important things to do as a manager. There is nothing like sharing food with someone away from the telephones and paging systems and other interruptions to get seriously important things done.
Andrew Carnegie said it another way that is a little more clear: "The secret of success lies not in doing your own work, but in recognizing the right man to do it." That comes down to the most dreaded of tasks for most managers: delegation and potential loss of authority. Yet, it is the thing that moves the needle, for it will never move very far by the manager doing all his own work. I know. I've tried. And, I still find myself struggle some with delegation even when I know it is the best scenario. The reasons for holding on I would suggest are quite meaningless, really. The true task of a good manager is a constant learning and the active practicing of letting go.
In letting go, expansion is possible and likely. By holding on, we become the manager that all those who work for dread: the controller. I don't care how good a manager you are, you cannot possibly control enough to expand to your potential by operating in that manner. It will only be through finding the right people and empowering them that expansion is possible, and in so doing one will find a far more rewarding management career. And, it is only through delegation that you will have the time and patience to get out of the office and get the really important things done.
Take Someone To Lunch. Or Breakfast. Or Dinner. Get Out Of The Office. Go Make A Deal. Hear A New Idea. Enjoy!
Spread Some Joy Today--Let go of your need to be important.

No comments:

Post a Comment