Friday, April 20, 2012

Daily Inspiration 4-20-12

"Pefection is another name for reality."

-- Baruch Spinoza


For the last year or so, I've not stopped myself from having whatever I wanted to eat and over time, I've gained more weight than I am comfortable with. In the last month, it has become a problem I can no longer ignore and make excuses for. It's over the line, and I've known it for some time, but it didn't help much.

The biggest issue is that I've just been living in front of my computer and loving potato chips and chocolate, two of the main food groups for weight watchers. The second biggest issue is lack of exercise. Some years back I used to walk about 4 miles a day 5 days a week minimum and for the last many months, so little and infrequent.

So yesterday, since the weather is more spring like, I walked about 3.5 miles and the same today and I feel better already. I have to schedule care of myself and well being into my day just like I do my clients.

I've been trying to come to terms with it. And I know it isn't a matter of strenuous effort, it is more a matter of aligning with what I say I want. Then, tonight, I remembered something that is transformative that I wasn't remembering: Gratitude.

John Demartini in one of my favorite books, The Gratitude Effect (a short book, only 150 pages), said this: "No matter who you are, you have things you like and dislike, or even admire and despise about yourself. Everyone practices the same math: fifty-fifty, right down the middle. Both things you like and dislike are going to serve you in your life, and the wisdom is appreciating this balance and being grateful for it. The Gratitude Effect also encompasses your beautifully balanced body. To love it is to appreciate what is assumed to be attractive and repulsive."

He goes on to talk about what a magnificent structure the human body is. When we look at it this way it changes our perspective. I've learned over the years that becoming grateful for something I don't really want is the fastest way to come to terms with it and to allow myself to change my thinking and emotions about it. Now I am back on track and I am confident I'll be back where I like what I see in the mirror very soon, and I'm sure that I'll have fun with it.



"Take Care Of Your Body. It's The Only Place You Have To Live." -- Jim Rohn

Spread Some Joy Today--Use gratitude as a way of loving yourself first.

No comments:

Post a Comment