Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Daily Inspiration 5-4-10

"Within you right now is the power to do things you never dreamed possible. This power becomes available to you just as soon as you can change your beliefs."

-- Dr Maxwell Maltz


"I made a resolve then that I was going to amount to something if I could. And no hours nor amount of labor nor amount of money would deter me from giving the best that there was in me."

-- Col. Harland Sanders


"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."

-- C. S. Lewis


"The future doesn't belong to the faint-hearted; it belongs to the brave."

-- Ronald Reagan


Yesterday, I heard someone say, 'I'm 57 and I will never be able to. . .'

That's a bunch of crap.

When people say things like this, or they can't do something because of how old they are, it is all a learned attitude. Think about it. Social Security. It was instituted in 1935. The whole concept of retirement at age 65 was a drummed up thing. It is amazing to me the national goal of retirement. I totally get enjoying life, what I don't get is waiting to retire to do it, or even that retiring will enhance it. What a waste of time--literally!

I love Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken. He didn't become what most call successful until after age 64. This list of people like that goes on and on. Age is not the issue, attitude and beliefs are. A 57 year old has just as much a chance as a 25 year old in business or achieving 'success.' The venues may be slightly different, but it is all in what you think.

I'm 60 today. I started a completely new career and went into business for myself about two and a half years ago. Most people would call me crazy, I suppose. They say that I'm supposed to be getting ready to kick back and take it easy and travel a lot in my motorhome and all that mumbo jumbo. Instead, here I am enjoying life as I never have enjoyed it before, having more joy in it, more thrill in it, more life in it, and much, much more satisfaction in it. I mean truly enjoying every single day, regardless of the circumstances, the weather or what other people might think.

So, they talk about risk. . . that I'm risking too much or that I'm risking it all. There's more risk of falling getting out of the shower every day. There's more risk in getting on the freeway every day. Again, it's all in your point of view, what you think is the way things should be (all learned ideas), how you think about age, how young or old you feel (I have felt 35 since I was 35 and it hasn't changed a bit), how you view success. None of it has to do with age really, it all has to do with what you think about age.

When people talk about the lack of opportunities, I feel the same way: baloney! It's another facet of the age thing. There are opportunities abound, and once you realize this is true, you see ever more opportunities that you don't even have time to think about.

When is the best time? It is whenever! You are never too old, or too anything. It has nothing to do with how much money you have or don't have. It has nothing to do with what sex you are. It has nothing to do with nothing except your desire and drive to see it happen in your mind, then in reality. There are so many ways to do a thing and all limitations are self-imposed.

The best is yet to come!

I'll leave you today with one of my most favorite quotes from an admired author and life adventurer, Jack London. I like to read it often to keep me inspired about living today waiting for nothing.

"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze
than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor,
every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time."

-- Jack London


I'm Living My Life In Full Now. I'm Putting My Retirement At Risk. Thank Goodness!

Spread Some Joy Today--Analyze how you think about getting older and how that relates to the opportunities of life. What do you see? Any concept you want to discard? Spread some joy today: Start with YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment