Friday, May 21, 2010

Daily Inspiration 5-21-10

"There are those of us who are always about to live. We are waiting until things change, until there is more time, until we are less tired, until we get a promotion, until we settle down--until, until, until. It always seems as if there is some major event that must occur in our lives before we begin living."

-- George Sheehan


"I'm so good at procrastination, I could teach it."

-- Jim Rohn


There are many things that I have put off over my lifetime. So many of these were small things, but many of them were important and all of them were an opportunity. There was only one reason that is consistent throughout, and that is fear. Fear of what others might think, of making a fool of myself, of not knowing how to do something, of failure, of success (yes, many have a fear of success), of not being good enough, of being embarrassed, and the list goes on and on and on.

Much of the time, I just wanted to keep thinking about it, and try to figure it out--the best way, the best time, the best combination of things, etc. The deadline always loomed. At first, it might have been weeks or months away, and then it was hours, and minutes, and I kept on thinking about doing. Much of the time, I didn't. I failed to decide externally. I certainly decided internally and played those scenario's of how it would go over and over and in different ways. It may have even worked perfectly in my head, but without the external decision, or the commitment to action, it may have just been a day dream.

The reality is also that I have done a lot of things and put myself out there and gave it a shot and much of the time it was nothing but net--a success. Maybe I got lucky. More fear. Some of that fear came from things that happened when I was a young child. Those things can be devastating for a child. But, hey, we just gotta get over it and get on with it, right? Right.

So what would happen; what would a life be like without any procrastination? I wonder. Maybe, I can start with just a little less procrastination, and work down to very little, to none. What do I have to lose?


I'm Gettin' Over and Gettin' On With It.

Spread Some Joy Today--What small thing have you been putting off for a better time? How can you get started today even though you don't have everything you need? That's the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment