Thursday, May 13, 2010

Daily Inspiration 5-13-10

"People are like dirt.
They can either nourish you and help you grow as a person
or they can stunt your growth and make you wilt and die."

-- Plato


"A man's growth is seen in the successive choirs of his friends."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


I love the quote by Plato above. Very interesting--especially considering it was written or spoken a couple thousand years ago. It hasn't changed a bit. It reminded me of Jim Rohn's input on this subject:

"You must constantly ask yourself these questions: Who am I around? What are they doing to me? What have they got me reading? What have they got me saying? Where do they have me going? What do they have me thinking? And most important, what do they have me becoming? Then ask yourself the big question: Is that okay?"

There's no question that just being around people on a regular basis has an influence on us. Ever notice how someone might use a certain phrase often, then one by one, the people around them begin saying the same thing? That's the lighter side of influence, but it is absolutely influence.

The worst is being around people who are talking negative, putting things and other people down all the day long and then us becoming like them--and we surely will, given time. The good news is that we have great control over who we associate with even when they are co-workers.

Far better to move up in friends and associates. Find some who are lifting you up and helping you grow. Ralph Waldo Emerson states that this is how you can see that a person is growing. I think that is very true.


I Get To Choose Who Influences Me.

Spread Some Joy Today--After thinking about how others influence you, try thinking about how you influence others, for you surely are. The question is in what way?

No comments:

Post a Comment