Sunday, May 16, 2010

Daily Inspiration 5-16-10

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death."

-- Albert Einstein


"The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies,
can continue growing as we continue to live."

-- Mortimer Adler


"Without continual growth and progress, such words as
improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning."

-- Benjamin Franklin


I remember seeing a graph when in my twenties that showed had age across the bottom and two graph lines. One was the ability to learn and it was relatively flat from birth to death. The second was the desire to learn and it climbed until age 40, then dropped off dramatically. It was used then when given to me to indicate that hiring people over 40 would not be as productive as hiring younger people because of this "learning curve" chart.

Now, here I am somewhat past 40 and remembering this chart for the first time in a while, and here's what I have to say about that chart:

Bogus! Crap! Untrue! Ridiculous!

Frankly, in the last few years, I have been learning so much more and my desire is stronger than when I was 20. Now, I do realize that there are some people who already know it all, so they have lost their desire to learn anything, but I think they are very few in number, though they may perhaps move around a bit more than most. . .

Really, it is the desire to learn that really drives us to achieve, to grow. Without this desire, there is no real life. Life is growth and expansion.

So why do some choose less? I think it is as simple as some little things they say to themselves, such as, 'I'm not a reader," or 'I'm not that smart," or 'I don't like books,' or the classic, 'I'm so busy, that I just don't have time for that stuff.' And of course, I say to that:

Bogus! Crap! Untrue! Ridiculous!

It's just our personal choices of what we are learning and how we are growing and expanding. Every choice has an outcome.

What is your choice?


I Grow And Expand As I Learn. Today I Am More.

Spread Some Joy Today--Be more today and open your notions to learning something just a touch outside your comfort zone. Don't read, or like to read? Great! Buy an audiobook. Everyone likes to be read to.

No comments:

Post a Comment